Monday, September 29, 2008

9-29-08

Hello,
Man, what a chilly morning. It is good to see the leaves changing and winter setting in. The biker in me hates the winter, but the Vermonter in me can only love it. Time is passing and I am only getting better.
Today I am attempting something I never did when I was well. I am going to try to walk up the hill Burlington is built on. It is actually harder than it sounds.
This past weekend, I went up to the cross races in Williston. To think that the Verge season opener took place twenty minutes from my house! I was surprised more people didn't turn out. There wasn't much publicity about it. Jamey gave us a pretty exciting race on Sunday with a lethal attack in the last lap. I got wickedly jealous of the racers but it was awesome to be out there and not in my living room.
The most exciting thing that happened this weekend was a matter of the palate. I was able to eat a little bit of steak which was cut up very very tiny. It was delicious. Man, I have learned that you appreciate things a lot more when they are taken away. That is why I can't wait to get back on the bike.
I want to thank you for reading this blog,
Rose

7 comments:

JB said...

Right on. We haven't met, but I'm glad nonetheless that you're back on the upswing. sounds like nothing can keep you down.

Best wishes,
Josef

Anonymous said...

Lots of people you don't know are rooting for you. Best wishes to you in your recovery!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Rose,
I am so happy to hear that you are out and about not to mention able to eat something. I am rooting for you and know that someday soon you'll be back on your bike. And with the possiblilty of snow flurries on the mountain soon it is always exciting to think about cross country skiing:): Talk to you soon.
Laurie

Anonymous said...

Rose– you're awesome. Best wishes from Colby and your freshmen year cycling COOT!

Unknown said...

Dear Rose,

You are helping all of us appreciate "what is". We thank you for that.

Bob

Neil Favreau said...

Hey Rose, I think I met you last summer at the marathon expo, I bought a pair of socks from you at the Pearl Izumi booth. I was floored to hear of your accident, but have no doubt you're the kind of person who'll only come out of this the stronger for it. Glad to hear you're on the mend. Peace.
Neil

Anonymous said...

Yo Rose! I was new on MHC cycling last spring so we met briefly once or twice at a few races in passing. However your name has always been one I've been extremely familiar with, because Frances was always howling to the gods, stuff like "Curse you for beating me again, Rose Long! Arrggghh! I'll get you one day!" I think you single-handedly gave Frances a reason to get out of bed in the morning to race. She loves you but also wants to beat you. Hmmm kind of like Whitney Houston and Bobby Brown.... or Tina Turner and Tito.... Anyway, I'm amazed at your tenacity and determination in recovery, I can honestly say that if it were me, I'd still be laying in a hospital bed, asking any cute male nurse to sponge-bathe me one more time, milking it for all its worth. You are like Samuel L Jackson, except you don't seem to swear as much, and you're white. But at the core you're the same. Keep on truckin'!!! We're all rooting for you!
-Rachael
MHC Cycling