Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Someone stop her!

The day before yesterday, the 15th, Rose was stuck in bed and we were doing all we could to keep Rose's pain manageable. I just got off the phone with her! It's 10:30pm! What is going on you might ask? Well, I'll tell you: Rose is holding onto Slim's hand going for her 4th or 5th jaunt around the hospital. She's moving safely around the hospital on her own two feet! This girl is unbelievable. I was there from 10-5 today and kept some visitors at bay whilst the little one slept and then gave her a leg massage to prep the legs for some grueling training sessions -a foot massage, too because she walked about 300m to "the view" at the end of an adjacent building. Rose is doing well. I even had the pleasure of feeding her some of her first "food" (pureed chops and some mashed potates). She drinks from small cups and could lift herself from the bed and navigate to the exit in the case of a fire if she wanted to (yeah, I'd put money on it). She doesn't like going fast in the wheelchair yet, but we'll see what tomorrow brings.

I'd like to post my mother's wishes:

"Dear Rose,
When Will called me to "update" me about his life at UVM, I was stunned to tears at hearing your story. It's something us Mothers (and Fathers) desperately hope as "never" happening to our children. So, I just want to tell you (because Will might forget) that I'm very much on your team with Will, I feel for your parents and I'm cheering for your full and rapid recovery because I know how much you (must) love the bike...and will be right back on it, racing to great victories! Love, Louisa (Dugan)"

Another kind fellow said:

"The web site is quite touching. I have sent a little something along and am going to share it with my sister who lives in Hartland, VT as it may be of interest to her also." Karl Volkman

The pain is worse at night and she gets startled from bad dreams but she's a real trooper. Even I, on occasion wake in the middle of the night thinking about Rose and the pain she's been enduring. I can't say I know someone as tough as she is. I'm in the library trying to catch up on some homework now so I must get back to it, but Rose, keep up the unbelievably fast progress! You have the support of thousands.

We're all watching you.

3 comments:

Anthony M. Powers said...

Rose,

Although we did not spend much time learning of each other during High school, know that your presence and energy did shine throughout the halls and walkways.

It's unfortunate that certain events occur that are so undeserving, but you will get better, and you will be in front of the pack again - we all know this.

Try to keep in mind: For every 1 person who contacts you, writes about you or visits you, there are 500 more thinking of you.

Ride on,

Anthony M Powers
LI '06

Shauneen Ward said...

Dear Rose, so many times you rode by our house up Burke Road. We were so saddened to hear of your accident. We pray for your speedy recovery and look forward to reading of your victories again in the cycling world. God Speed and best wishes. The Ward's.

Unknown said...

Dearest Rose,

The world is missing out on the presence of your love. Please use all our love to bless us with your presence as quickly as possible so the world can be brighter once again for all of us who hold you so dear to our hearts.

Your friends,

Bob & Julie Jaskiewicz
Will & Noah
Colin & Meredith