Monday, September 15, 2008

Update on Rose, Website, & The Rally for Safe Streets

Earlier I visited Rose with Vinnie, Will, and Slim. Rose is looking a lot better and is still herself, busting on us and making jokes. She told us how one of the nurses told her she should get up because she had been in bed for too long and Rose said, "Uhh, yeaaah.... I got hit by a car." We all know how tough Rose is but your support has kept her going strong.  While we were there, Kevin and Tom from GMBC told Rose that they were going to buy her a new bike!! The way that friends, local cyclists, and complete strangers have come together to help Rose is awesome.


The 'About Rose' section of the website will be finished tonight or tomorrow morning and I will add photos as people send them to me. (mfemia@uvm.edu) Already, people from all over the country have visited the site and made donations. Post links to the website anyplace you can think of. 


Tomorrow, the UVM Cycling Team, Local Motion, and GMBC will be holding a Rally for Safe Streets from 12:15 to 12:45 on the steps of City Hall to raise awareness about Rose's accident and promote initiatives to improve cycling and pedestrian safety. The media will be there and the mayor might make a statement. Please come down if you are available. If you ride, make sure you wear a helmet.


-Mike







5 comments:

sean said...

Best wishes for a speedy recovery, Rose!

-from Sean and American University Cycling

Anonymous said...

Rose, I was shocked and saddened to learn of this accident and do wish you a speedy recovery. We need you back at our events as our "spirit leader!"

Take care.

Jared Katz said...

Rose, So glad to hear you're recovering well.

Your spirit has galvanized the cycling community and energized the work towards safer streets for all. I am sad that it took yours and a series of accidents to refocus our attention on the need to change the way all users of roadways treat each other, and I am heartened by what I have heard from those who will lead the way.

Keep healing well. I look forward to seeing you on the road in the Spring. TNW won['t be the same without you.

Best wishes from me and the ORS team - Jared

Anonymous said...

Hey Rose, I hope you feel better and get well soon! You have my best wishes!

LDG said...

Rose,
The Dartmouth folks are sad to hear about your accident. We're sending you wishes for a speedy recovery.
I'm glad you have so much support, even from Slim. Yikes!
-Lauren